Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Snow Day Cinnamon Rolls


Last week the east coast braced itself for the "SNOWQUESTER". A monster of a storm that was going to dump up to 10 INCHES of snow onto the DC area!! The roads were salted, the store shelves were raided, the government and schools promptly shut down in advance and we waited... and waited... and got rained on... a lot. Ok, in all fairness, it did snow some but it melted as soon as it hit the ground. Alas, the storm was a bust, but the good news was we got a free Wednesday to play hooky!  Having Mr. B home during the week is a treat so I thought I'd splurge and make us a yummy snow day brunch, including some lip smacking cinnamon rolls. The recipe is courtesy of my mama and an old Betty Crocker cookbook. I also made a great scrambled egg dish that I got straight from the ol' noggin, I'll share that as well!

If you're like me, the thought of "whipping up" cinnamon rolls sounds pretty intimidating. Fortunately, this recipe really is that simple!



Snow Day Cinnamon Rolls:

  • 2 Cups of flour
  • 3 Tsp Baking Powder
  • 1 Tsp Salt
  • 6 Tbsp Shortening
  • 2/3 Cup Milk
  • 2 Tbsp Butter (Melted)
  • 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
  • 1 Tsp Cinnamon 
  • Drizzle of honey
  • Other Toppings to Taste (raisins, walnuts, etc.)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Sift together the first three ingredients. Using a fork, cut in the shortening. Create a well in the mix and add milk to the center. Form a ball with the dough and knead lightly on a floured towel. Roll out dough into a rectangle (or as close as you can get to that elusive shape!) about 1/4" thick. Brush dough with melted butter then sprinkle on sugar, cinnamon, honey and other toppings. Roll the dough beginning at the wide edge and pinch ends to seal. Cut roll into 1" sections and place, cut side down onto a greased baking sheet or pie pan. Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown. 

As the rolls cool, mix a few teaspoons of powdered sugar into the remaining butter and drizzle over the top. 

Gather your ingredients for easy access
Make your dough and put onto a floured towel 
Shape your dough, butter it, top it, roll it up, bake it!

Fresh outta the oven and ready for my belly! 

While my rolls were baking, I started on the eggs. I usually prefer my eggs cooked over medium but since I'm preggers, scrambled are now my style. I like to fancy up my eggs and this is a great way to do it. Chop up some scallions, throw in a couple spoonfuls of ricotta cheese (much richer than milk), a dollop of Dijon mustard, a little garlic powder, S&P, and whisk. Make sure not to over beat your eggs, this will make them tough. 


I like to cook my eggs over medium low heat. I also try not to move them around very much to keep them fluffy. Cook until the last of the runniness is juuuuust absorbed and then pull from the heat.


Slice up a few apples for a side and you've got yourself one nummy AND quick snow rain day brunch!



 XOXO,

Mrs. B





1 comment: