Search This Blog

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Basic White Bread


 As a wedding gift, my husband bought me my first Kitchenaid mixer. Some women want diamonds on their wedding day, this woman wanted a Kitchenaid stand mixer in boysenberry (ok, duh, I wanted diamonds too!!)! I consider it to be my "woman card" and it's one of my most prized possessions. So, to start off my blog, let's go with a recipe from the Kitchenaid instruction booklet,  Basic White Bread, page 61.
Here she is in action! 
It's really important to pay attention to the temperature of the water when you mix up your yeast. This recipe calls for the temperature to be between 105-115, if  it's too hot, you kill the yeast, too cold and it won't grow. I used a meat thermometer and that worked just fine. Side note, if you don't have yeast in your pantry, go buy it, NOW! It lasts forever and the packets make it super simple to whip up a yummy loaf of bread whenever.

Another handy trick I learned while baking this bread was a way to keep your dough warm so it can rise properly. All you need to do is pre-heat your oven to 400 for 2 minutes, turn it off and then place your towel-covered bowl on the center rack for the proper raising time. It worked great and I didn't have to hunt for sunshine to set the bowl in!
The rising dough
The recipe was easy to follow and the bread is delish! It turned out light and fluffy with a slightly crunchy crust. I think next time I make it, I'll throw in some fresh herbs from the garden or maybe try the cinnamon variation from the booklet. I hope you try it out and let me know what you think!!! 
I topped a still warm slice with butter and my homemade Jalapeno Jelly (I'll do a post on that soon!) SO good!


No comments:

Post a Comment