Search This Blog

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Garden Watch 2012!

Even though we don't have much outdoor space in our lil slice o' heaven, I really wanted to have a garden this year.  To remedy this, and to stop my whining, Mr. B decided to build a garden box for me. We measured along our fence and plotted out a 10x5' area that would work. After a mostly productive trip to our local Home Depot, we returned with custom cut pine planks and corner posts. All the garden blogs I read recommended cedar but because we can never have it perfect in this city, cedar was nowhere to be found and pine was going to have to do. After Mr. B drilled and assembled the frame, I took some leftover weather proofing stain from the deck and coated it. Behold, my garden box!!!

I also started seeds a few weeks back. I planted corn, watermelon, chard, beans, lettuce, squash, herbs, peppers, tomatoes, strawberries, carrots, and radishes! 

What they don't tell you when you're gleefully filling your cart at the home improvement store is the INSANE amount of soil you're going to need to fill that little box. So far, I've packed over 400lbs, yes, you read that right, of soil into our back yard and and you know how much depth that gave me? Oh, about 4 inches! EEEKKKK!!! I originally wanted a solid 12" of topsoil but forget it, I'll add more later, lol.  

Here are the latest shots of my planted garden box!

'Maters!!! 
Strawberries

Corn


It just goes to show that you don't need a ton of room to grow your own garden! If you have even less space than me, try doing a potted garden. Lots of fruits and veggies flourish in pots, strawberries, tomatoes, peppers, just to name a few. A bonus to potting, you can move your herbs inside during the winter with minimal hassle and year round flavor! I can't wait to start enjoying my garden. Grow, baby, grow!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment